We are pretty much Super Heroes…just ask any tree.
The EPA estimates that 17 trees are required to make 1 ton of corrugated cardboard stock*. At Balcon, we think trees are pretty awesome and we do whatever we can to save them.
When Balcon purchases used Gaylord boxes, our warehouse super heroes process and repair each one, if at all humanly possible. The left-overs go into a bailer and are sent to a pulp plant to make more cardboard. Why do we do this? Well, we know that only 35% of every roll of cardboard stock is made from recycled material, while the other 65% still comes from new wood pulp. So…the more we can recycle the boxes to be reused as actual boxes, the more we reduce the demand for raw material. That means fewer trees need to be cut down. Hooray planet!
We knew that we were saving a ton of trees, but we were curious as to how many, so we did some calculating. Between all Balcon sites, we are reducing approximately 12 Million pounds of cardboard stock from being generated and saving about 102,000 trees per year! That’s a Helluva lot. Let’s put that into perspective…that’s almost 247,000 acres (nearly 385 square miles), which is practically the size of Dallas, TX!!!
We haven’t started physically hugging trees yet, but we are rather fond of the oxygen they produce!
(* http://www.packsize.com/how-many-boxes-can-you-get-out-of-one-tree/ )