Using Bulk Bags for Flood Control
With spring comes rain and melting snow. Unfortunately, it also brings flooding and the spring of 2019 is off to a Helluva start. Did you know that Bulk Bags are an effective and efficient tool in the fight to prevent flooding?
Bulk Bags have the same protection of the traditional, smaller sand bags, but can hold 20-30 times more sand in the same amount of space. This means that you only need one Bulk Bag instead of filling and hauling 20-30 individual sand bags. Think of the manpower savings!! Their coating is water resistant and has a UV protectant to keep the bag from breaking down when exposed to sunlight. Oh, and one more thing, you can use materials other than sand to fill a Bulk Bag, such as dirt and gravel.
Bulk Bags can leave small gaps between the bags, which is why we recommend also using some traditional sandbags and a water-proof membrane to prevent water seepage.
How to use Bulk Bags to prevent flooding
- String-line the area to maintain consistency.
- Use one skid loader with forks to hold the bag.
- Use another skid loader with a bucket to fill the bag ½ full.
- Move the bag into place, then add more material until the bag is full.
- Stack as needed. Use a pyramid shape if stacking more than two high.
- Fill in the gaps with a handful of traditional sandbags and a waterproof membrane.
- Protect large areas faster than traditional sand bags.
- Less manpower needed.
- Easy to stack.
- Controls larger volumes of water.
- Easy to empty (no more cutting and dumping hundreds of small bags).